Sunday, June 16, 2024

An inherent struggle exists when sitting down to memorialize the life of a semi-famous individual - especially in the wake of tragedy.

The crucial question, constantly resurfacing, begs to ask why the media fails to call attention to the innumerable deaths of 22-year-olds who are called home far too soon, unless he or she is a celebrity. With the death of Anaheim Angels rookie pitcher Nick Adenhart last Wednesday evening came a litany of eulogies and columns expressing sorrow and sympathy for all those who knew the young man. The Editorial Board struggled mightily in deciding whether adding our own commentary was even necessary - leading us to wonder if we would ever hypothetically write about an untimely death of a UF student occurring during the semester.

The story of Nick Adenhart the baseball player didn't take the familiar path to success as a result of his immense god-given abilities, but rather thanks to a strong sense of resiliency. Dealt the unfortunate hand of Tommy John surgery to his elbow just prior to the draft, the Angels took a risk on the 2004 High School Player of The Year as he faced a long uphill battle in recovery. Due to his feverish work ethic to rehabilitate his arm, Adenhart earned a call-up to the majors last season - making him the youngest pitcher in the league at the time.

What makes Adenhart special is not simply the fact that he was a promising pitcher in Major League Baseball, but rather an individual who exhibited true greatness off the baseball diamond. Not to say the numerous everyday men and women who succumb to an early death every single day are not worthy of our ink, but much can be learned from Adenhart's life. The death of someone as remarkable and so full of promise as Adenhart leaves even the most apathetic baseball fan begging to question his or her own faith in humankind.

A mere hours before meeting his untimely demise, Adenhart pitched the game of his life - a performance that he expected and as a result, invited his father to attend. Thanks to six innings of no-run baseball, the young rookie from Maryland showed his teammates why he deserved a rotation spot on one of the best teams in baseball. While Adenhart was not the winning pitcher on Wednesday evening, his ever-so-brief touch with greatness foreshadowed a brilliant career marked with the awards and accolades fit for an ace.

And then it was gone.

Beyond all the respectful remarks made about Adenhart's life and career came the raw emotion and genuine love out of the mouth of fellow teammate Dustin Moseley. Through his tears and quivering voice, Moseley paid sincere homage to his friend - a heartfelt press conference shedding light on the impact Adenhart had made on his life. Moseley pointed out both fans and players alike were drawn to Adenhart, not just because of outstanding skills as a baseball player but because he was such a remarkable person.

Simply put, the effects felt by the Angels pitching staff will surely be seen over the course of the season, but the loss of a budding leader in the clubhouse will linger on.

An unfortunate perception of immortality and exclusion from the troubles that plague everyday folk continues to exist within the realm of professional sports. Such an ideology is fostered not only by the behavior of athletes themselves, but also through fans whose isolated view of stars perpetuates a notion of invincibility. If there is but one good thing to come from the tragic death of Nick Adenhart, we sincerely hope all professional athletes learn to realize they do not reside within a bubble.

While the Angels lost a teammate who showed great promise on the pitching mound, the world said goodbye to a man who brought joy and happiness to all those fortunate enough to have known him.