Sunday, June 16, 2024

While budget woes at UF have students and faculty up in arms over a murky academic future, the financial situation at Florida State University teeters on the horrific.

Word out of Tallahassee reveals news of a proposal released on Monday by FSU administrators outlining deep budget cuts - which would go into effect under a worst-case scenario. Ranging from the elimination of 21 programs to the closure of a satellite campus in Panama City, FSU would also be forced to fire 350 faculty members under the plan.

According to an article in the Tallahassee Democrat, the proposal calls to cut areas of study including anthropology, German and oceanography, among others. Additionally, other programs will see reduced funding, restructuring or even be forced to merge.

The overhaul of the university stems from decreased public funding from the state legislature for the upcoming fiscal year. Under the Senate budget, FSU stands to receive nearly $30 million less in 2009-2010 than the previous year. The figure jumps to nearly $80 million based on the current House budget.

The Editorial Board can't help but feel downright awful for the entire Florida State community. While Gators and Seminoles may be foes in the athletic arena, we both share the common goal of developing individuals through higher education with hopes of making positive contributions in life. We sincerely hope there is a way for FSU to avoid a tenuous situation that would alter the school's otherwise seemingly bright future.

America's resurgence will not take shape without the help of higher education.