Sunday, June 16, 2024

The most special Easter Sunday of Capt. Richard Phillips' life had nothing to do with the typical holiday fare of oversized chocolate bunnies or a plethora of purple Peeps.

He regained his freedom.

Thanks to the heroic efforts of three U.S. Navy SEALs, specially trained to deal with hostage situations, Phillips managed to escape from the control of three Somali pirates on Sunday evening.

With a shot to the head of each of the pirates, the SEALs were able to secure Phillips and bring to an end a particularly tenuous situation that had dragged on for the better part of a week.

According to an article on CNN.com, hostage negotiations had come to a standstill between the U.S. military and the pirates - forcing the hand of President Barack Obama to authorize lethal force if Phillips' safety became a major concern.

Since the pirates threatened Phillips' life on numerous occasions, even pointing an AK-47 assault rifle at him, the SEALs were forced to seize an opportunity in which the captors exposed parts of their body, making sniper fire a possibility.

The Editorial Board commends the U.S. military, specifically the U.S. Navy SEALs, for its impressive response to the hostage situation off the coast of Somalia.

Not only did the SEALs manage to save Phillips from a possible death--they were able to avoid a bloody massacre through three highly executed sniper shots to the head.

Lest we forget to applaud Phillips, whose mental resolve and determination to stay alive exhibited outstanding character during what we can only imagine was an extraordinarily horrific ordeal.