Sunday, June 16, 2024

With a slumping economy and a skyrocketing unemployment rate, President Barack Obama has turned to higher education with hopes of getting America back on track.

In an announcement made on Friday, Obama spoke of plans to help unemployed individuals remedy their current situations by returning to the classroom. One of the major deterrents keeping citizens from going back to school lies in the fact that unemployed individuals sacrifice their benefits if they elect to head back to a college campus. But thanks to Obama's plan, unemployed Americans can pursue a degree while maintaining their current compensation.

Suddenly every student's nightmare of sitting next to Mom during lecture has come to fruition.

According to an article on CNN.com, the Department of Education plans to contact colleges and universities across the country to help with the transition process. Additionally, Obama's initiative will increase limits on federal Pell Grants by $500 to a maximum of $5,350 - money allocated for low-income students. News of Obama's efforts comes in the wake of word revealing the country's unemployment rate has hit a 25-year-high at 8.9 percent during the month of April.

The Editorial Board applauds Obama for realizing the value of higher education to help America turn the corner during the current economic crisis. By making it easier for unemployed people to further themselves through education, Obama has taken the steps necessary to create a workforce better suited for the ever-expanding global economy. With more individuals earning college degrees, America's economy will transition from one relying on factory workers to one relying on knowledge-based skills.