Sunday, June 16, 2024

Beyond resuscitating the economy, one of the most critical decisions on tap for President Barack Obama lies in finding a replacement for outgoing Supreme Court Justice David Souter. Obama's upcoming selection will mark his first nomination to the nation's highest court - a choice that will undoubtedly carry weight beyond the four to eight years of his presidency.

According to an article on CNN.com, the list of potential nominees has been narrowed down to approximately six serious contenders. Interestingly enough, out of the individuals with a viable shot of succeeding Souter, all but one are female. Ruth Bader Ginsburg, appointed by former President Bill Clinton in 1993, is currently the only woman serving on the Supreme Court.

Out of the group of women currently being considered by Obama, the confirmed names include federal appeals court judges Sonia Sotomayor and Diane Wood, and Solicitor General Elena Kagan.

Sotomayor, 54, who would become the first Hispanic justice if appointed, has bipartisan appeal but recently faced criticism on "The Late Show with David Letterman," where her intelligence and demeanor were called into question. Such accusations seem particularly baseless considering Sotomayor's strong academic background, which include degrees from Princeton and Yale. While her candidacy has garnered some negative attention from late night talk show types, most telling about her chances for a nomination stems from her support from both of New York's senators, who penned a letter of support to Obama on her behalf.

The other federal appeals court judge, Wood, 59, currently works as an instructor at the University of Chicago - the school where she first forged a friendship with Obama. What may be going against Wood, aside from her age, is the fact she did not attend an Ivy League school for either her undergraduate or law school studies. Even though a quick look at the academic backgrounds of the current Supreme Court justices reveals a heavy trend toward Ivy-based educations, Wood's decision to attend the University of Texas for the entirety of her collegiate career should not preclude her from serious consideration by Obama.

Beyond her current position, Kagan made a name for herself as a professor and then later while presiding as dean of Harvard Law School. Fortunately for Kagan, the 49-year-old attorney who serves as the administration's top attorney before the Supreme Court, a lack of judicial experience may not deter her chances of assuming Souter's seat. In addition to her strong academic background, Kagan exhibited political acumen while working under the Clinton administration as associate White House counsel.

For Obama, the criteria of youth has been made known as a highly desired attribute. Given the fact that a younger appointment could serve as many as 30 or more years on the Supreme Court, Obama has paid careful attention to the ages of all of the candidates as he prepares to make his decision. Such an emphasis on longevity of service could potentially bode well for Kagan, who has yet to celebrate her 50th birthday.

A quick glance at former President George W. Bush's administration would reveal the prior two appointments skewing more toward the young side. Both Chief Justice John Roberts and Justice Samuel Alito, appointed to the high court in 2005 by Bush, remain years away from receiving Social Security benefits. For Wood, 59, an appointment to the Supreme Court may have unfortunately passed her by.

Regardless of age, the quality of candidates appears quite impressive which will ultimately pay huge dividends for Obama's impact as a president - both now and beyond his time in office. The diversity of potential appointments, in terms of gender, ethnicity and career path, speaks volumes of the Obama Administration's willingness to be open-minded. What remains important, though, is delivering a nominee respected by both Republicans and Democrats alike, so that the confirmation process runs its course in a relatively timely manner.