Sunday, June 16, 2024

For Rhode Island residents suffering from debilitating ailments, the sale of herbal relief may soon become legal thanks to legislative measures.

The state Senate passed a bill on Tuesday by a margin of 30-2, which could allow for nonprofit stores to sell marijuana to registered patients. According to a Boston Herald article, state law allows for the use of medical marijuana but not the sale.

There are three ways in which the bill can become a law. Gov. Donald L. Carcieri can sign off on the legislation or refrain from making a decision within a week. Or, a three-fifths vote by both chambers can override a veto.

However, history suggests that the governor may be inclined to veto the bill as a result of his negative response to similar legislation put on his desk last year. Given the overwhelming support of the bill, evidenced by the margin in which the legislation passed, the governor may elect to take a progressive stance.

Clearly, making marijuana legal for patients who may benefit from the herb's potent effects could prevent them from dealing with criminals to obtain the drug. When a person suffers from glaucoma, he or she should not be worrying about getting arrested by a police officer to obtain something that may actually help him or her feel better.

While the universal legalization of marijuana may be years away, Rhode Island's allowance for the sale of the drug at nonprofit stores would undoubtedly serve as a bold statement too loud to ignore.