Music and film don't always synch up. While some try to hard to push the entertainment factor with forced tour bus orgies and unlimited profanity, others come up dry. But among the failed attempts, some music-related films mesh both genres of entertainment in perfect harmony.

Cameron Crowe's film about an aspiring rock journalist holds its own as both a mockumentary and an award-winning picture. As a film, "Almost Famous" has a terrific screenplay, great direction and standout performances by Patrick Fugit, Kate Hudson, Jason Lee and Billy Crudup. The film, based on Crowe's experience as a journalist with Rolling Stone magazine, was technically a box office flop, but 10 years later it watches just as well as when it came out.

A mockumentary of sorts, "This is Spinal Tap" explores the 1982 U.S. tour of fictional heavy-metal band, Spinal Tap. Rob Reiner, Christopher Guest, Michael McKean and Harry Shearer wrote and also played pivotal roles in the film. "This is Spinal Tap" parodies heavy-metal bands of the 80s while being funny, realistic and fresh. Since its release in 1984, the film became a cult success, and in 2002 the Library of Congress added it to the National Film Registry.

Although, more of a romantic comedy, "High Fidelity" relies on music to get its point across. The movie comes off as a little dated when you listen to John Cusack rant about how to make the perfect mix tape. But it's the ranting that makes the movie so good. With a well-written screenplay, a terrific performance by John Cusack and plenty of music references, "High Fidelity" is the romantic comedy for the music lover.

"The Last Waltz" is a triumph as both a concert and film. The movie covers the last concert of The Band after 16 years on the road. Just as The Band made a lasting impression on rock and roll, Martin Scorsese made a lasting influence on concert filmmaking when he directed "The Last Waltz" in 1978. Boasting beautiful cinematography and camera work, the film feels less like a concert movie and more like a blockbuster film. The movie, just under two hours long, keeps viewers compelled with supplemental band interviews in between terrific live performances.

It may be the Gainesville connection that makes "Runnin' Down a Dream" so compelling. The film, tracing Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers' career, opens with live concert footage from the bands Sept. 21, 2006 performance at the Stephen C. O'Connell Center. The film traces the band's beginnings in Gainesville, complete with home video footage. As the movie continues, Gainesville becomes far less prominent as The Heartbreakers makes its move toward success, but clips of the Gainesville show appear throughout to remind you of the bands humble origins. The various celebrity interviews from people like Johnny Depp, Dave Grohl and Stevie Nicks, along with the momentum built up by interviews with the chronology of the band, keeps audiences captivated throughout the almost four-hour-long film.

More than just an album, "A Hard Day's Night" was also a revolutionary British film. The 1964 comedy uses a mock documentary format that shows a few days of The Beatles' lives.

With a simple plot line filled with numerous gags, the movie is enjoyable and fun to watch, although it can feel a little dated.The real importance of the film comes less from its musical inspiration and more from its film format.

Director Richard Lester's use of hand-held cameras, quick cutting and even the decision to film the movie in black and white are elements of cinematic style that still influence films today.