PetSnip helps owners spay and neuter their pets

Operation PetSnip's surgery room is only slightly larger than the average bathroom.

Despite squeezing its entire operation into a roughly 50-by-9-foot trailer called the "Big Fix Rig," No More Homeless Pets' newest venture has spayed and neutered more than 105 cats and dogs since it was stationed outside the Alachua County Humane Society on Aug. 17.

PetSnip, a low-cost service aimed at low-income pet owners, runs on goodwill. The "Big Fix Rig" was donated by the North Carolina-based Humane Alliance.

Operational costs are drawing from a $250,000 donation from local philanthropist Gladys Cofrin and a matched amount from Alachua County.

Cofrin, an animal lover who has owned and rescued pitbulls since the 1970s, said she hopes the grant will help to reduce the population of dogs and cats, which is out of control in Alachua county.

According to Animal Services director David Flagler, Alachua County has worked toward decreasing its population of homeless animals for years but has exhausted the ideas and funding for getting animals adopted.

"We've reached the capacity of the adoption efforts," he said. "At some point, you have to start targeting the problem at its source."

The Big Fix Rig will remain at 2909 NW Sixth St. until Sept. 1, when it will relocate to just north of 39th Avenue on the same street - the location of the future Humane Society building.

Operation PetSnip will continue offering its services from the rig until the construction of its permanent clinic is completed in the Humane Society building, which is scheduled for 2010, according to No More Homeless Pets clinical operations manager Jessica Torrence.

Operation Petsnip performs spay and neuter surgeries on cats and dogs under 40 pounds, but Torrence said dogs over 40 pounds will be welcome as soon as PetSnip gets equipment that can handle the extra weight - hopefully in the next few weeks.

Although other local low-cost services only accept animals based on breed or owner income or location, Operation PetSnip does not have prerequisites for surgeries, which cost $40 for cats and $60 for dogs.

Torrence said people who can afford standard veterinary service should continue to go to their regular clinics in order to keep space open for those in need, but they do not require proof of need.

"You'll always see people taking advantage," she said, "but mainly the people who have been coming in have been those that do have the need."

Torrence said she can't estimate when the grant will run out.

"There is money out there to be had," she said. "But our program is excellent and necessary. Hopefully, people will understand that and help us keep going."