The Florida football team is 5-0, ranked No. 1 in both polls, quarterbacked by one of the best college football players of all time, led by one of the best defenses in a long while and should coast into the Southeastern Conference Championship Game.

It's time to be real, however - the Gators are playing with fire.

The flame is being caused by relying too much on UF's impressive defense. Yes, the unit is probably the best in school history and may very well rank among the best ever by season's end. It is close to achieving the holy superfecta of defensive excellence - total defense, scoring defense, passing defense and running defense. Currently, the Gators are No. 1 in all but the latter (No. 11 in run defense).

"We have that mentality of the Baltimore Ravens in that 2000 season," linebacker Ryan Stamper said. "If we get three points, we feel like we should win the game. All the offense has to do is get three points, and we're going to win."

That's an impressive way to think, and the fact is it's very close to being true, but a defense this good doesn't deserve to have that much pressure put on it.

Is winning the absolute objective? Absolutely. But let's stop pretending every win is equal or even "OK" by Florida standards. Would anyone be excited by a one-point win over Troy? Right, that's what I thought.

With as dominant as Florida's defense is, the Gators will be able to wins with lackluster offensive performances. In fact, they could win all their remaining regular-season games in this fashion.

But winning alone does not automatically mean every phase of the team played well.

Take, for example, the FSU-Georgia Tech game this week. The Yellow Jackets won despite allowing 44 points. Did GT's defense play well? I mean, it did enough to win, right? It got just enough stops for a W. See how silly that point is?

Open your eyes a bit, and you'll see the possible consequences this lack of offensive balance can have down the road.

Florida currently ranks No. 2 in the nation in rushing and No. 78 in passing.

For anyone hoping for orange-and-blue confetti in Pasadena in January, that's not a good sign.

Of the last 10 national championship teams, only two ended the season ranked higher than 70th in rushing or passing (1999 FSU - 83rd in rushing, 2002 Ohio St. - 92nd in passing).

Even worse from the Gators' perspective? None of those teams have had a 76-place differential between their passing and rushing attacks. The largest among the champs were those Buckeyes (difference of 61) and Seminoles (difference of 71).

So UF fans should probably wait to see a few games with an aerial attack before planning on spending January 8th in California.

Then again, according to offensive coordinator Steve Addazio, all the passing game seems to need is a flick of a switch.

"Oh, we can get the passing game going," Addazio said. "I'm not worried about the passing game. We're the No. 1 team in the conference on third-down conversions. I'm not sweating that right now."

That sounds rather suspect - UF is averaging 127.3 yards per game so far in three SEC contests - but Florida will have a good chance to show off Tim Tebow's arm Saturday - Arkansas enters the game ranked 100th in the country in pass defense.

Or maybe the Gators will keep relying on their defense and a rushing-dependent offense.

But if UF does that and proceeds to get burned by Alabama or a national title game foe, just remember the fire started a long time ago.