Recession forces students to recycle Halloween garb

Stacy Hutton is going to be an angel for Halloween - again.

Hutton, a junior health, education and behavior major, is on a tight budget this year, and she'll be working at McDonald's through the weekend instead of going to costume parties or the UF-Georgia game.

Hutton is allowed to wear a costume Saturday night, but she'll be recycling angel wings from a previous year's costume.

David Denslow, a UF professor and research economist, said many consumers this year might follow the same trend because of the recession. He expects most people to make their own outfits or, like Hutton, wear their old ones.

Denslow said it's typical for Halloween sales to be affected by a weak economy. He expects candy sales to be less flexible than costume sales since trick-or-treaters would be upset with last year's candy.

Last year's Halloween candy was discounted because stores were surprised by the recession and overstocked, he said, but this year he expects fewer discounts because stores are controlling inventory better.

Sales at Center Stage costume shop are steady, according to manager John Albritton.

"Halloween is the one time a year you can be yourself," Albritton said. "You can be a kid and dress up."

He thinks Halloween sales will be sustained in a college town like Gainesville because it's the last party for students before midterms and the holidays.

Albritton expects some students to celebrate Thursday, Friday and Saturday night, even if they're going to Jacksonville for the football game.

But Chelsea Pulido, a sophomore business administration major, is using the football game as an excuse not to dress up.

Pulido said with the tighter economy, her mom isn't giving her as much money, and even if she does go to a Halloween party before the game, she won't be wearing a costume this year.