Monday, April 29, 2024

The issue about the Reitz Union expansion raises fundamental and core problems surrounding the attitudes of this university, its administration, its Student Government and the complete lack of distinction between any and all of these categories.

We know that SG will operate under any and all modes of self-interest. SG is, like the administration, interested in ideas fit for a brochure with attractive buildings and boundless ideas of “excellence.” But what we need, as concerned graduate employees, undergraduate employees, and students all, is to use this moment of absolute disrespect to put this attitude in check.

Unfortunately it is poor timing for UF and SG to attempt to pull this one off: we simply cannot afford to accept the decision of a multi-million dollar expansion at a time when faculty are leaving this university, when graduate students are leaving this university, and when a host of undergraduates would rather see their money well spent in holding onto the value of their already diminishing degrees.

The Board of Regents for the University of California system recently approved a statewide fee increase of 32 percent, leaving students upset, active and organizing against this decision. This is our educational context. Expanding a student union for more elbow room for eating pizza and “activities” is insulting. Renovations are the administration’s fiscal responsibility. We are not going to be passed the buck.

Figure out something else... This is why you are paid three-fourths of a million dollars, Bernie.