Sunday, June 16, 2024

When the Editorial Board read that Republican National Committee co-chair Jan Larimer thought women need “more hand-holding”  than men throughout the election process, we envisioned a patronizing man who happened to have a Scandinavian first name. We were wrong.

Alas, Google Images revealed the awful truth. Larimer, a woman, recently explained why she thought so few women participate in the Republican party.

She blamed the problem on women’s reliance on friends to help them make decisions.

Larimer said committee workshops aimed at involving women with the party focus on helping them make up their own minds and carve their own paths.

The statement sounds empowering, but we have to ask: Who in her right mind would decide to get involved in politics without first consulting a confidante for advice?

Larimer implied she did. Did she shake up a GOP Magic 8-Ball or crack open a fortune cookie and hope for an answer?

We would ask a few good friends for their opinions instead of stubbornly rushing into a situation of such magnitude.

Friends and loved ones who advise someone not to run for office aren’t trying to put a damper on the mood or crush a political party one household at a time.

They’re only trying to save someone from a mistake that’s the political equivalent of getting a tattoo while utterly sauced.

Perhaps a select few could make such a massive choice on their own, but politicians have teams running the show from behind the scenes once the ball gets rolling.

Larimer’s point is ridiculous. To involve oneself in a government for the people, by the people and of the people without leaning on close comrades for advice seems obnoxious.

It puts her out of touch with Americans, especially those with XX chromosomes.

We don’t think it’s the hand-holding that’s alienating women from her party.

It’s probably the condescending stereotypes Larimer helps perpetuate.

Granted, much of the Board’s reaction stems from the sheer amount of estrogen in the newsroom, but Gallop polls show that women have a notable tendency to become Democrats.

It doesn’t take a genius to see why.

By painting women as swaying with the fluctuations of society and basing their political values on their spouses, girlfriends or book clubs, Larimer takes Americans on an unhappy trip down memory lane and into the kitchens of the 1950s.

Someone needs to tell her and much of her party that times have changed.

Today, women use their own minds and hearts to make choices — but with input from others.

They even win offices based on the strength of their campaigns and beliefs, even if Larimer doesn’t see many success stories in her own party.