Sunday, June 16, 2024

The Gainesville Melting Pot has closed, but the question of employee payments remains open.

Former employees still have not received valid final paychecks or W-2 forms, though the restaurant closed in September.

The fondue restaurant, located at 418 E University Ave., was closed for renovation by the city and may remain closed ultimately.

“We found out on a Saturday and, basically, on the Tuesday of that same week we were closed down,” said Regina Kypriandes, a former Melting Pot employee.

Employees worked off an IOU system because the restaurant didn’t have enough money, according to Kypriandes.

“We would get what we made that night written on a piece on paper,” she said. “We would get paid when someone’s tables paid in cash.”

Kypriandes added employees either could not cash their final paychecks or the checks bounced.

Justin Santoro, former franchise manager and owner of the Gainesville Melting Pot, is working with attorneys to send out W-2 forms.

“My main priority is to get my employees taken care of,” Santoro said.

According to corporate headquarters in Tampa, the company did not know about this issue.

“We were just made aware this week from prior employees that they didn’t receive their W-2 forms,” said Bob Johnston, president and chief operating officer of The Melting Pot.

Santoro said former employees should receive their W-2 forms within the week.