With the spring season upon us, that means shorter shorts, swim suits, sundresses and the always dreaded spring cleaning.

The change of seasons can sometimes be overwhelming for some of us. There are so many new trends to try and statements to make. It’s easy to get lost in the confusion. In order to reduce the perplexity associated with new fashions, I think there’s no better time than the present to bring it back to the basics.

There are a few basic pieces every woman should have in her wardrobe. If you have (or invest in) the following essentials, you will be able to easily pair them with any season’s latest fad or statement piece.

A great pair of jeans

A great fitting pair of jeans is an essential for every woman—no matter what age.  Depending on your body type, the style you should have will vary. Check out this great article for tips on what style works for your body.

White button-down shirt

You can never go wrong with a basic white button-down shirt. This staple piece is extremely versatile and can work great in any occasion—even with those well-fitted pair of jeans! A white button-down is also good to have as your go-to top for business casual occasions such as interviews. Have a look at this link for tips on picking out your perfect white button down.

Cotton T-shirt

A cotton t-shirt is a must have for any casual occasion. Cotton t-shirts are great because when paired with the right accents—like a statement necklace—your outfit automatically becomes dressier.  Pick a t-shirt that’s not too tight, but also not so big that you look like you’re ready for bed instead of a night on the town. An easy way to look chic wearing a cotton t-shirt is by picking a dark color such as black.

Bonus: Black has an amazing slimming effect.

Cardigan

I cannot stress enough my love for the cardigan. If I could, I would have one in every color. My obsession is so bad, that I probably am guilty of wearing one every day.

My cardigan fixation aside, I do believe it is important for every woman to own at least one in a basic color such as gray. Picking a neutral color assures that you can pair it with just about anything in your wardrobe. The few cardigans I have are of the cotton sort, but if you have the funds, I would advise investing in a basic cashmere cardigan. Nothing beats the timelessness and comfort of a soft cardigan.

Tip: Check out Urban Thread on University Ave. They carry J. Crew cardigans for a fraction of the price!

Comfy flats

There are so many attractive looking shoes out there, it’s easy to get distracted by their beauty. However, having a pair of comfortable flats is vital when it comes to good style. Let’s be honest, if you’re not comfortable, you’re not happy. Fortunately for us fashion enthusiasts, shoe designers are making not only comfortable shoes, but attractive, comfortable shoes. Brands such as Naturalizer and Me Too have a variety of comfy, cute and even better, inexpensive flats.

Check out these adorable ballet flats from Naturalizer. Now there’s no need for your feet to suffer anymore!

Killer heels

At the risk of sounding like a hypocrite, it’s as important to have a pair of killer heels as it is to have some comfy flats. Look for simple features when looking for a pair of go-to heels. Black, leather heels are my go-to pick. They go with just about any outfit whether it’s a pair of jeans and a white button-down, a business-casual suit for an interview or a mini dress for a date.

While there are plenty of other basics you could add to your wardrobe, you can’t go wrong with the above guidelines. Having these essential items will provide you with a clean slate that will allow you to add trends as fashions come and go with the season.

One last tip: If you’re like me and looking to do a little spring cleaning, try the following to make cleaning out your closet a little bit easier next year. Place all of the pieces in your closet on hangers facing in the same direction. When you wear an item, make sure you return it to your closet with the hanger facing in the opposite direction. This will allow you to see which items you never wore during the year. By this time next year, you’ll be able to effortlessly unload some items in your closet without second guessing yourself. The best part is, all of the free space will allow room for something new!