Visitors to the Alachua County Fairgrounds passed through the ticket booth and stepped back in time to the 1950s Saturday at the Billetproof Hot Rod and Custom Car Show in Gainesville.

Clad in Converse sneakers and leather jackets, more than 400 car enthusiasts traveled from across the Southeast for one reason: to worship the hot rod.

The show was for traditional-style cars from the ‘50s, ‘60s and earlier.

There are five Billetproof hot rod shows across the country ever year, from Washington to Florida.

Last year’s Florida show was held at Don Garlits Museum of Drag Racing in Ocala, but Alan Galbraith, owner of Billetproof, said this year’s show moved to the fairgrounds for more space.

Marty Backand, a retired auto body technician, brought his 1933 Ford three-window coupe to the show. The 77-year-old car has been restored to look new. Its sleek black finish is accented by large exhaust pipes leading from the engine out the side of the hood — a classic hot rod feature. The front axel is exposed under a giant chrome grill and large chrome-encased headlights.

Backand said he was proud he drove the car to Gainesville from Weeki Wachee, Fla. — some of the other hot rods arrived on trailers.

Leaning on his car, Backand said he enjoyed talking with the spectators who came to admire the hot rod’s bodywork.

Galbraith said Billetproof enthusiasts fall into two crowds: They’re either over 60 or under 30.

Backand said he was one of the older-than-60 hot-rod lovers.

“The alternative-type people,” he said speaking of those under 30, “they dress older than me.”

One of those “alternative-type” people was Megan Todd, a 21-year-old cosmetologist from Gainesville.

“They don’t make them like they used to,” she said, referring to the hot rods at the car show.

Todd was dressed like Sandy from “Grease,” except with a nose ring and gauges in her ears. She described her style as ‘50s era with an influence of modern punk.

“We like the retro lifestyle,” She said. “It’s rock ‘n’ roll.”