Monday, April 29, 2024

Stuck in Gainesville over Spring Break? We’ve got you covered. Here are some fun things to keep you occupied throughout next week:

Start your week by rolling out the red carpet and watching the biggest awards show of the year. The Hippodrome Theatre will air the Oscars at its Academy Awards Gala on Sunday. With a reception, gourmet food and the show airing in HD, this is one red carpet event you don’t want to miss. Tickets are available online at thehipp.org.

Then, rest up on Monday so you can hit up Common Grounds on Tuesday to check out pop/folk group Port O’Brien. The band just released “The Pan American Sessions,” an EP with all proceeds benefitting Haiti.  Port O’Brien is touring with Portugal. The Man and The Dig. Tickets are $10 in advance. Doors open at 8 p.m.

Spend the rest of the week relaxing and enjoying your hiatus from papers and tests before getting a taste of Broadway. Danscompany of Gainesville will perform its annual rendition of “The Wiz” at the Phillips Center for the Performing Arts on March 13. Performances are at 2 p.m. and 7:30 p.m., and tickets are $12.