‘Harry Potter’ blood drive beats ‘Twilight’

While waiting in line to see “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1,” moviegoers also helped save lives.

“Our goal was to get at least 100 recipients to give blood throughout the week,” said Clay Gibbons, the district community development coordinator for LifeSouth. “Films like this bring a younger crowd, and with time to burn while waiting in line, why shouldn’t they donate?”

At the film’s opening Thursday night, Gibbons said LifeSouth received 38 donors in six hours, and 48 more donated Friday.

Regal Butler Plaza Cinemas, 3101 SW 35th Blvd., first invited LifeSouth to park its bus outside the theater in 2008 when the “Twilight” film series began, Gibbons said.  The vampire film drew 78 donors on the opening night.

Gibbons said if the organization had had more buses, it would have collected more blood — 20 potential donors were turned away because there wasn’t enough room.

Themed donation events bring groups of people and motivates first-time donors to participate, Gibbons said.

“When people come together, the experience is a lot more enjoyable and the time goes by quicker,” he said. “You also sometimes have to give incentives, but it’s worth it.”

This year, LifeSouth handed out free Harry Potter T-shirts to donors.

Meg Harris, a 21-year-old applied physiology and kinesiology major, said she arrived early to pick up her ticket for a later showing Saturday and figured she would participate. It was her sixth time donating.

“I like giving blood, and it’s great for them to set up outside of the theater,” Harris said.  “The free shirt was pretty cool, too.”

Tracey Catron, a donor who gave blood Saturday, said she gives every two months.

“I work with people who obtain bad injuries as an insurance adjuster, so I realize the importance of giving blood anyway,” Catron said. “Everyone loves Harry Potter, so it makes sense to promote a good cause where people are.”

Gibbons said there were at least 2,000 people waiting for the premiere of the movie Thursday night.

LifeSouth plans on continuing its relationship with Regal Cinemas, and Gibbons said the next film they are planning on parking at is the midnight premiere of “Tron: Legacy” on Dec. 17.

“We need events like this to maintain the community’s blood supply, and hopefully future dates will produce as many donors as the past,” he said.