Last year, a lack of depth forced the Gators to shy away from the full-court press that proved effective early in the season.

With a deeper bench and full complement of players, it seemed as if UF would implement the press more often this year, but that has not been the case recently.

Donovan said the Gators focused more on their half-court defense against Auburn and Arkansas last week in an attempt to exploit the teams’ offensive weaknesses. Against Georgia tonight, however, Florida will look to press more often.

“There are certain teams that really thrive in open-floor situations,” coach Billy Donovan said. “Then, there are a lot of teams that are going to play really, really slow, and you know the game’s going to get really, really locked into the 50s and we say, ‘OK, we need to press to speed the tempo up.’”

YOUNG MAKING TRANSITION: Freshman Patric Young has had to acclimate his game to the college level in plenty of ways so far this season, but perhaps the hardest adjustment has simply been not being the biggest player on the floor at all times.

The 6-foot-9, 245-pounder has grown more comfortable during the season, and he has seen his playing time increase. Young has averaged 19.6 minutes, 5.4 points and 4.6 rebounds per conference game while providing a spark off the bench.

“I think I’ve got exactly what coach wants me to do out there,” Young said. “Things are just flowing right now, and hopefully I can keep it up.”

MURPHY STILL RECOVERING: Erik Murphy returned to the court in both games last week after sitting out since Dec. 31 with a right mid-foot sprain, and the sophomore forward is slowly regaining his old form.

Murphy was held scoreless but grabbed three rebounds in six minutes Thursday at Auburn. He managed six points and three boards in 13 minutes Saturday. Donovan said Murphy was “100 percent physically” but still showed signs of rust.

“He looks almost a step slow to me,” Donovan said. “It seems like he’s behind in plays. We definitely need him going forward because I think he’s a guy that can stretch the defense and shoot it.”