Students and faculty take advantage of surgery discount

Some students are using it for smooth skin.

Others want it for firmer lips.

It’s also being used for bigger breasts.

That’s what some students and UF employees are using the UF Division of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery’s discount for this year.

The discount gets students and faculty 20 percent off non-surgical procedures, such as laser hair removal, microdermabrasion and Botox treatments.

For surgical procedures such as breast augmentation, liposuction and tummy tucks, the department has a 20 percent discount on surgeon’s fees, said Jennifer Brindise, marketing and public relations specialist for UF Department of Surgery.

Bruce Mast, UF’s chief of plastic and reconstructive surgery, said the cost of plastic surgery can range from a couple thousand dollars for a non-surgical procedure to as much as $15,000 for a face-lift-nose-job combo.

By that estimate, a 20 percent discount could mean anywhere from $400 to $3,000 off the surgeon’s bill.

“So, it’s really nothing to laugh at,” Mast said.

Lindsay Howell, UF plastic surgery clinic manager, said since the discount, she has noticed an increase in the number of student and employee patients for plastic surgery.

Popular choices include non-surgical work such as laser hair removal at $900 for the whole leg and surgical work such as breast augmentation for which the price can vary depending on the type of implants used and their size.

She could not give an exact number because she did not want to violate patient confidentiality rules.

She said she thinks the discount lowers the “taboo” of plastic surgery and brings in patients other than those who would typically get plastic surgery.

Mast said surgery discounts in private practices are common since cosmetic surgery is usually not covered under health insurance.

He said market trends and the economy usually figure into discounts as well.

But he also said UF’s discount was more to honor the relationship between the plastic surgery department and university employees and students.

“It’s not like we go out and put up fliers and stuff,” he said. “We’re not using it as a sleazy commercial marketing ploy.”