The UF Police Department has been named as one of six institutions that will serve as a national mentor to other police organizations in responding to mental health situations.

The initiative, put forth by the U.S. Bureau of Justice Assistance, aims to improve national standards in such responses and help to make police encounters “safer and more successful,” according to a UF press release.

The departments will be responsible for providing resources and expertise to other departments as they create or improve programs for mental-health responses.

The group of six departments, which includes the Los Angeles Police Department and the Houston Police Department, were selected from a national pool of applicants.

“I think it recognizes the university for having a system in place that deals with its mentally ill,” UF spokeswoman Janine Sikes said. “It represents that we have a good process for collaborating with student affairs, mental health counseling and wellness, as well as the UPD to help diffuse mental issues with our students, employees and faculty.”

However, the selection is not without criticism and controversy.

The UF Police Department was involved in a  much-publicized incident in March when UF graduate student Kofi Adu-Brempong was shot in the face in his Corry Village apartment.

Adu-Brempong, who required a cane to walk, was reported to have come at the officers with a metal rod after barricading himself in his apartment for two hours.

The officers reported they had attempted to subdue the 35-year-old with bean-bag shots and Tasers, but both failed.

They then shot him twice with an AR-15 assault rifle, sparking an investigation of the department, an uproar from students and an officer’s dismissal.

Dave Schneider, a member of Students for a Democratic Society, spoke out against the department’s selection.

“The whole thing would be comical if it wasn’t absolutely horrifying,” Schneider said.

Schneider was also critical of the organization’s response to the shooting, saying that he believes the organization requires oversight.

“It’s like asking a biology student who failed the class to then get up and teach the class,” he added.

Sikes said that while the incident was a tragedy and an error, looking at only the shooting of Adu-Brempong is missing the bigger picture.

“The university deals with a lot of cases with its students, staff and faculty,” she said. “This recognition is indicative that we have good policies and procedure in place, and that will help move us forward.”

Calls to UPD for comment were not immediately returned.