Sunday, June 16, 2024

Suppose you’re a hungry student speed-walking across campus, looking for something to shove down your gullet while you rush to your next class. If you’re low on dough, you might be stuck eating food from the intestinal house of horrors known as Taco Bell.

No one eats there for quality, and we’ve long suspected their “meat” to be some concoction of cow and grease-trap leftovers. We wouldn’t have considered taking the company to court over the accuracy of the “seasoned ground beef” label they give their weird runny meat sauce.

But someone did.

An Alabama law firm is slapping the company with a class-action lawsuit to get the company to admit the amount of beef used in its tacos doesn’t meet the USDA requirements to be labeled as “beef.” The attorneys even had the mixture tested, and the results showed it contained less than 35 percent beef. What’s the other 65 percent? Binders and anti-dusting agents to start with.

However strange the ingredient list turns out to be, and no matter whether the chain has to legally start calling their ground beef “taco meat filling,” the fact remains the company will stay in business.

It has an established clientele among people who don’t care about the quality of what they’re eating. They’re already pronouncing fake words and placing an order with a prissy eye-rolling worker who will almost certainly spit in their food. They are the risk-takers of society, living life in the fast-food lane.