Publicity and event planning, attached at the hip

Parades and spectacles. Flash mobs. Intentional "wardrobe malfunctions."

There is a fine line between effectively getting the word out and oversaturating a message. 

But when carefully executed, publicity stunts can be the black magic of PR practitioners. It is an easy way to hoard a slew of attention while seizing an interactive opportunity to further your objectives.

Here's a classic example taken from American pop music. Sony Records decided to sail a statue of Michael Jackson on the River Thames to promote the release of his greatest hits album, "HIStory." Eccentric? Sure. Relevant and successful? Absolutely.

Sometimes, a campaign requires a tactic that is multi-dimensional; something that will allow the essence of the client and the current project to come to life. Similar to a journalist's objective when reporting, when it comes to promoting, it is better to show than tell.

In a Public Relations Blogger post by Ashley Wirthlin, the "drip-drip-drip technique" of publicity is cited as a way to legitimately hype up your planned event. 

An event is a commitment from point A to point Z, and that means keeping its occurrence relevant to the public to help them remember and be reminded of why their attendance is necessary.

I am a member of the public relations committee for Theatre Strike Force, UF’s premiere comedy troupe. When it's time to hype up our performances, it is the punctual follow-up, more so than the events, that really keeps the campaign fluid.

Here’s a list of techniques that are simple, nearly endless and work as flotation devices to keep the event adrift. 

1. Sharing promotional videos and images over the Internet.
  2. Making direct contact with friends, buyers and clients.
  3. Sending out timely, not overwhelming, e-mail and social networking reminders.
  4. Updating those who have expressed interest in the event.
  5. Directly answering questions and handling concerns in preparation. 

The levels of interest the stunt generates will be contingent on its success. Luckily for the PR practitioner, it will essentially let the project sell itself.