Florida sophomore Ronald Powell is excited about his more versatile role as the Buck in UF’s new defensive system this year.

Will Muschamp wants to turn Ronald Powell into the football equivalent of a superhero.

He wants him to pressure quarterbacks. He wants him to blanket tight ends. He wants him in a three-point stance to blow past offensive tackles. He wants him standing up before the snap to confuse running backs in pass protection.

Basically, Muschamp wants Powell to keep Southeastern Conference offensive coordinators up late at night.

“Ronald is an explosive, strong, tough, hard-nosed football player,” Muschamp said. “He’s a guy who we feel can create some one-on-ones and some mismatches for a defense. He’s a guy you’re going to need to account for.”

After studying film of his new players, Muschamp told Powell at the beginning of the semester he would be playing the Buck, a spot that has immediately become the sexiest position on the field, if for no other reason than the name alone. Said 303-pound defensive tackle Sharrif Floyd: “I wish I could be a Buck.”

But Powell is a better fit for the team’s do-everything position. He was the No. 1 high school prospect in the nation when he signed with the Gators last January, in part because he combined a 6-foot-4, 250-pound frame with a 4.5 40-yard dash.

Despite everything he accomplished on the recruiting circuit, Powell had what he described as a disappointing freshman campaign last fall. He played in all 13 games, but his only start came Nov. 20 against Appalachian State. In limited action last year, Powell recorded 25 tackles, one sack and two pass breakups.

There were reports that Powell and fellow freshman defensive lineman Dominique Easley skipped a practice in September, and he admitted to being hard-headed. Veterans like then-senior Mike Pouncey called Powell and the rest of the freshmen out, saying they needed to shut up and learn from the older players.

“I’m not going to go all into what (Powell) was really like,” defensive end William Green said. “He was just a young guy. He’s gotten a lot better.”

With a new coaching staff comes a fresh start, and Powell is excited about his role after watching film of Jason Taylor and former Texas Longhorn Sergio Kindle.

“It’s the best position for me,” Powell said. “If I could have picked any position, it would have been the Buck position.”

Taylor, who switched from a traditional defensive end to a hybrid player when Muschamp and defensive coordinator Dan Quinn coached him with the Dolphins, was named the NFL Defensive Player of the Year in 2006 after recording 62 tackles, 13.5 sacks and two interceptions returned for touchdowns.

Kindle, who played a similar role when Muschamp was his defensive coordinator at Texas, was on the watch list for both the Butkus (best linebacker) and Hendricks (best defensive lineman) awards in 2009.

While the new role will give Powell more freedom, it also could be more confusing. So far, less than a week into spring practices, Powell feels comfortable with everything the coaches have thrown at him.

But how many tackles he makes — and how many hours of sleep he costs opposing coaches — depends on how he develops.