Have you ever seen one of those photo montages that show someone’s face holding the same angle and expression relentlessly, regardless of where and when the photo was taken?

Yes, they creep me out too.

It doesn’t matter if these people are going out somewhere or attending their little cousin’s birthday celebration, they pose identically for every photo.

I don’t understand why people do this.

They’re casting an illusion on their own life. They’re going to look back when they’re older and find their faces at the same angle in 80 percent of their photos. Although, I suppose one could consider it a reflection of their personality – boring, flat, predictable and one-sided.

I recall a time during my more awkward years when I would see photos posted on a certain ubiquitous online social network with all these people posing for a quick photo with their faces touching.

I was not the debonair socialite I am now, and at the time these endless photos were nothing short of depressing for me to see.

There I was, alone in my apartment, finished with my physics lab with the choice of laundry, online gaming or Internet lurking.

As far as my digital eye could see, there was an ocean of images of people having a good time at some party I wasn’t invited to or didn’t know about. It made me feel terrible. But, I suppose these photos are taken as a display of how fun that particular event was.

I’ll fast forward a bit: Now, I am attending these same parties. There was one in particular where I actively thought to myself, “Wow, this party is kind of lame, even for me.”

To my complete chagrin, I finally witnessed the creation of these posed photos first-hand and wouldn’t you know it? They are completely contrived! They are fake moments in an unreal life. That party wasn’t that great. Yet, when that particular image is put on display, it looks just as exciting as all the other parties I once envied.

So there they are, posing away so that years from now they can worship the false god of their youth.

What can anyone do to combat this epidemic of self-created, one-sided hieroglyph people?

For starters, if you are the camera operator, you can take more candid photos.

They’re more difficult to take well but also far more rewarding. You will be able to look back on a memory and remember it a little more accurately than you would otherwise.

You will also have the opportunity to represent the same people in dynamic, interesting ways. Doing so also brings integrity to your photos because they become more believable and are given the opportunity to capture something unexpected.

If candid photos are a documentary of your life, then the redundant, same-face pictures can be thought of as the reality TV version —  scripted, planned and full of posers. Except this particular show doesn’t have drug addicts and failed celebrities.

It’s just plain and dull, despite the changing setting surrounding that same recycled expression.

Say cheese!

Wesley Campbell is a fifth-year English major. His column appears on Wednesdays.