This letter is in response to the articles covering the deadly protest in Mazar-i-Sharif, Afghanistan, which appear to be a result of the antics of  the Dove World Outreach Center’s Terry Jones.

Mr. Jones, when did God die and leave you in charge? The name of your self-proclaimed religious organization is now the poster child for hypocrisy.

How about changing the name to Hawk World Outreach Center, because that is exactly what you intended — to aggravate a group of people who already are seething with anger at their oppression. You, sir, are what is wrong with religion today. What would Jesus do? Or didn’t you even consider how Christianity came about?

As for the murderers in Mazar-i-Sharif, how dare you take it upon yourselves to defend your “sacred” religious beliefs by killing innocent people who meant you no harm and were there voluntarily. Perhaps it was the Christian belief in charity that motivated them to serve. Now, you have taken them away from us and discouraged others from serving the needs of the Afghan people in spite of the differences in faith. What would Muhammad do? Or didn’t you even consider this as well?

Inciting hate, and the reactionary killing, must stop before it is too late and the world descends into more chaos and confusion. Both Jones and the murderers need to request some sort of forgiveness by extending whatever they can to the families of the survivors.

Follow your true religious precepts; don’t use them for your own self-aggrandizement.