A document released by UF's Office of Audit and Compliance Review has revealed the School of Architecture's director billed the school for the services of a design center he also directs, signaling a possible conflict of interest.

Martin Gold signed 10 invoices as executive director of the Florida Community Design Center which were submitted to the School of Architecture, of which he is also the director. The invoices were submitted between 2005 and 2010, according to a May 20 investigation report by Chief Audit Executive Brian Mikell.

The bills, ranging in amount from $60 to $15,000, totaled $47,210, according to the report.

Seven of the invoices were submitted to the School of Architecture for payment, and eight of them did not contain a specific description of the service provided, listing only "consult" or work dates.

The last invoice, received in May 2010, was for $3,000 in consulting services and was charged against a grant for a member of the architecture faculty.

However, auditors reported that the faculty member did not authorize any consulting by the FLCDC for his project.

Auditors concluded that although the invoices signed by Gold may have been legitimate, they do create the appearance of a conflict of interest.

Calls made to Gold's office were not returned by press time.