A 'Contagion' of disappointment and trailer deception: Is this film worth seeing?

It is a universal habit to arrive at the movie theater early in order to catch the previews. Everyone loves to get hyped up for upcoming films and comment on what they'll be seeing within the next few months.

It is one of those small, familiar pleasures in life that everyone loves to partake in.

Upon seeing the preview for "Contagion," an action thriller about a deadly virus wiping out mankind, I felt the hairs on my arms raise in heightened anticipation as my skin tightened with delight.

The plot seemed reminiscent of the 1995 success "Outbreak," which amplified my excitement. If this movie was as thrilling as Dustin Hoffman and Cuba Gooding Jr. commandeering a plane in order to thwart a government plan to bomb a California town, then I knew I could not be disappointed.

Although, when I finally saw "Contagion" the night of its release on Sept. 9, I found that it was nothing like its predecessor of disease-film glory.

In fact, I would say it did not have a lot of action or thrill at all. The preview that had me on the edge of my seat was highly misleading.

The direction this film took posed many challenges. There were several stories being followed at once, all of which tied in together, but none of which were expanded. None of the characters were given enough exposure so that I truly cared about what happened to them. 

Something dramatic and shocking would happen that would ensnare my interest but then would be shifted to a different focal point. The movie would continue for twenty minutes and then return back as if the dramatic event had been momentarily forgotten.

Each storyline had massive potential to develop into a more in-depth look at what each character was going through, but the lack of time spent cultivating their situation left me indifferent to their fate. At the very least, the plot did come full circle in the end, but had a few subplots lost along the way.

It was a shame that none of the characters really stuck with me because the cast was phenomenal. Each actor in this film is a veteran in the movie industry. They were able to carry the film and what little details were given with flawless emotion.

Matt Damon as Mitch Emhoff, a grieving widower desperate to protect his daughter from the disease, was powerful and believable as he reacted to the events unfolding around his character.

Kate Winslet played the dutiful, altruistic Dr. Erin Meers responsible for collecting information about the spread of the illness. Her sincerity and professionalism came across as touching and admirable, but sadly unexplored.

Jude Law was immaculate as the smarmy freelance writer who sets out to benefit from the hysteria caused by the disease. His disingenuous smirk, complete with crooked and rotted teeth, was charming in a way that made me hate myself for loving it.

Overall, the best part of the film was the actors playing these distinctive roles.

Despite how dull and slow the film felt, there was something frighteningly realistic about it. The shots of vacant airports, garbage-riddled wastelands and rampant crowds of looters were chilling.

They could have focused more on the desperation, but there was definitely a sense of realism. I felt that if there was this type of pandemic, this is exactly how people would act and how the world would look.

Perhaps it was too real.

I appreciated how true the story felt, but that wasn't exactly what I had bargained for.

Where was the action? Where is Dustin Hoffman going renegade?

My expectations may have been misplaced; however, with a trailer as exciting as "Contagion's" I don't see how I could have anticipated anything else.

I wanted fire and panic. I wanted full on destruction and chaos.

What I received was still deep and emotional, but slow and not engrossing at all.

I've resolved to say that I have mixed feelings about "Contagion" with all of its unexplored potential. I think the directors did what they thought was best and it worked well together, but it isn't something that is for everyone.

It goes to show that you can't always trust a preview.