High expectations for Sept. 16 movie release, 'Restless'

My two most valuable possessions when the weekend rolls around are my time and my money.

There are few things more frustrating than wasting these on a movie that simply was not worth it, so having the perfect movie selection process is vital.

Until the actual film comes out, I have very little information to base my assumptions on.

This means the methodology of choosing the right movie to see in theaters is based heavily on the trailer.

While perusing the upcoming films for the weekend of Sept.16, I came across what appears to be a shining gem: "Restless."

"Restless" is a heart-wrenching drama about two adolescents who are fixated with death and end up falling for each other.

Gus Van Sant, Academy Award-nominated director of "Good Will Hunting," is responsible for this film.

Aside from "Good Will Hunting," Van Sant has already proven his genius with other big film names, such as "Milk," to give him credibility.

How could any movie he directs disappoint critics or audience members?

Right off the bat, "Restless" has earned an immeasurable amount of cool points.

Danny Elfman, whose composition list reads like the greatest resume of all time, seeing as it is padded down with every Tim Burton film ever created, is responsible for the movie score.

My fears of scene music not fitting the tempo or mood of the film have completely subsided. Elfman is a musical genius when it comes to film scores.

I know "Restless" has been placed in good hands.

The cast itself is an indication of the amazing potential of the film.

Incase anyone was mildly curious as to why "Alice in Wonderland" star Mia Wasikowska chopped off all of her hair, it was not so she could look more like Emma Watson.

Instead, it was for her role as Annabel Cotton, a terminally-ill teenage girl.

Wasikowska has proven to be a fresh, yet talented, actress who has earned many praises from fans and critics.

The object of Cotton's affections is Enoch Brae, a shy boy who spends time with the ghost of a Japanese soldier and crashes funerals.

Henry Hopper, son of the late Dennis Hopper ("Easy Rider," "Speed"), was cast as Brae.

Hopper has only had one previous major film role in his entire career.

Such an unfamiliar choice is accompanied by a fair amount of skepticism, but I like the opportunity to encounter a potential up-and-comer. Hopper seems to fit the awkward, reserved nature of his character.

Overall, the trailer itself portrays "Restless" as a tender love story between two teenagers who approach life with open minds and open hearts.

This appears to be an inspiring film that will make anyone who watches it consider how valuable his or her time on Earth is, and how a single person can alter our existence.

I felt a sense of hope just watching the preview.

I have a feeling that this is "Bridge to Terabithia" meets "A Walk to Remember," in which case I would recommend bringing a box of Kleenex to the theater.

I certainly know that I will have several boxes stacked next to me when I spend my time and money watching "Restless" this weekend.