Labor rally aims to unite activist community, send message to City Hall

An upcoming event, which will interpose activist energy and carnival fun, will be held to bring together the myriad groups in Gainesville that are worried about labor issues.

The event, Labor Daze Fest, will be held from 5 p.m. to 10 p.m. Sunday at the Bo Diddley Community Plaza downtown to gather the city's activist groups.

The event will feel like a rally and a festival at the same time, said event organizer Trisha Ingle.

"We've got something for everyone," Ingle said.

The event's purpose is two-fold, she said. First, it's to send a message to city commissioners that they should make sure Gainesville residents are hired for city-funded work.

But mainly it's to show activists in the city that there is strength in numbers. Ingle said she hopes the rally will become a yearly event and will lead to a stronger labor movement, and perhaps even an umbrella organization for the various groups.

"We are strong, there are a lot of us, and if we band together we can do something," she said.

Five live bands will play throughout the event, punctuated by speakers, some of who are from Gainesville and UF activist organizations.

Eight organizations, including the Civic Media Center, Fight Back Florida and Students for a Democratic Society, will have tables where people can find more information.

"I think together we're a pretty mighty force," said Dave Schneider, a founder of Fight Back Florida and an organizer of Students for a Democratic Society. "Any time labor and students and working people can come together under one banner, I think we can really move mountains."

Primarily organizations that identify with Democratic Party politics were invited because Ingle said that's where she felt the most support with labor issues.

The Grilled Cheese Wagon, High Springs Orchard and Bakery and other food venders will sell their wares.

There'll be three massage chairs to soothe tired backs. For the kids, there'll be face painting.

No organization is spearheading the event. Ingle, who is married to former city commission candidate James Ingle, said she organized the event when she realized that the various city activist organizations don't work together as much as they should.