French novel adapted into film 'Sarah's Key'

Occasionally I like to venture outside of the Hollywood-production bubble and explore what other cultures have to offer in the world of cinema. Foreign films have always been a bit of a risk for me, especially because I'm not always a fan of subtitles, although, my feelings of frustration can be quelled by a truly engrossing story. "Sarah's Key," the film adaptation of Tatiana de Rosnay's novel "Elle s'appeliat Sarah," is a 2010 French drama starring Mèlusine Mayance and "Bitter Moon's" Kristin Scott Thomas. It is an example of a captivating film that should set a standard for all future foreign films.

What first intrigued me about "Sarah's Key" was the setting in which the events of the story unfolded. It takes place during the July 1942 Vel' d'Hiv Roundup, a mass arrest of over 13,000 French Jews orchestrated by French police. These French Jews were detained in Paris until they were eventually sent to Auschwitz.

It was refreshing to find a plot that actually introduced me to something new. The French involvement in the Holocaust was completely shocking and captivating to me because it is an unexplored event in cinema. The Holocaust has become a common premise for many movies because it is a story worth telling. It is an event that teaches audiences about the nature of hate and connects them to their humanity.

Even still, originality is difficult when producing a Holocaust film because of how often it has been used. The Holocaust is almost guaranteed to draw emotion from an audience, but there has to be a deeper story to tell. The details are more significant than the backdrop. In the case of "Sarah's Key," there was only a subtle connection to the Holocaust which allowed me to connect with the personal story of the character rather than the actual horrific event itself. Sarah's struggle to escape from the camp in search of her brother, who she hid in a closet before her families' arrest, and her subsequent turmoil through her adult life is what this film really focuses on.

Mayance is sensational as the mature and bold Sarah Starzynski. Her portrayal of a headstrong child is believable and inspiring. Sarah is the paradigm of resilience as she overcomes impossible obstacles to uncover her brother. Mayance is able to show Sarah's resolve through her unyielding stare and confidence, despite her character's obvious naivety.

The tale of Sarah's struggles unravels around the present day story of Julia Jarmond, an American journalist residing in Paris who investigates the Vel' d'Hiv. Julia discovers her own families' connection to Sarah and her ordeal, creating an element of mystery and thrill for the film. Julia's personal life crumbles when she examines the harrowing details of Sarah's experiences. Thomas delivers a memorable performance as the compassionate, determined Julia, who remains loyal to her search for truth at all costs. Thomas takes you on an emotional journey through Sarah's life that is both dark and beautiful. It was possible for this film to feel like two movies in one, but strong performances and appropriate melding of scenes brought these two perspectives together.

The only cringe-worthy moment in the film was the directors cliché attempt to tie the ending together. Their sentimental acts came off as cheesy and generic. I feel like the directors were clueless as to how to end the story, so they settled with something so overused that it ceases to be touching. The plot had been so uncommon, but ended in a phony, lackluster way. I felt robbed of the highly anticipated chills that had appeared throughout the film. Every moment of the film ignited tingles in my arms and legs, except for the ending.

"Sarah's Key" is a movie that stays with audiences long after they've left the theatre. It is a unique tale of a young girl's struggle with guilt and how this changed the life of another woman. "Sarah's Key" is this generation's "Sophie's Choice" with equally talented performances and riveting plot. This movie really tugs at a person's heartstrings, leaving him or her inspired.

"Sarah's Key" plays at The Hippodrome Theatre in downtown Gainesville until Oct. 6.

Posts in Swamp Cinema appear on Mondays.