Monday, June 17, 2024
<p>Zoology junior Kristina Wilson, 20, screams as her scalp is being torn off in a makeshift hair trap at the Haunted Broward event Thursday night.</p>

Zoology junior Kristina Wilson, 20, screams as her scalp is being torn off in a makeshift hair trap at the Haunted Broward event Thursday night.

Megan Smith was tied to a chair screaming for help in the Broward Hall basement on Thursday night.

Her screams could be heard echoing into the Broward lobby as students and community members attended the fifth-annual Haunted Broward, advertised as the largest haunted house on campus.

Smith, 18, an animal sciences freshman, was one of the actors this year. She credits her mom with her interest in creepy things.

"She got me into a lot of horror stuff," Smith said.

This year's theme was the horror movie franchise Saw.

Organizers received about $465 for the event, said Nicole La Hoz, 20, a publicity director for the event and a journalism junior.

The Inter-Residence Hall Association provided about $265. Rawlings Area Council and Broward Area Council provided about $200.

The house was created with 90 pounds of tarp, fake body parts, about 30 Jigsaw masks and red paint, La Hoz said.

At the beginning of the haunted maze, people walked to the Broward basement to watch a 40-second video. Jigsaw, a masked character from Saw, said: "Welcome to Broward. Get ready to play a game."

Tour guides then led the groups through a maze of black tarps that concealed actors with Jigsaw and Pigman masks waiting to jump out at any moment.

Some of the scenes recreated by the actors included a scene from "Saw I" where a man saws off his foot and a scene from "Saw IV" where a woman's hair is pulled by a winch.

People then traveled through a maintenance tunnel that had black trash bags hanging from the ceiling. Fake body parts protruded from the bags.

After a final scare from an actor in a Jigsaw mask, they were released from Broward and back into the night.

Korie Padgett, an 18-year-old psychology freshman, attended the event with some of her friends.

"I had my eyes closed the whole time," Padgett said.