Sundance film, 'Circumstance,' explores Iranian culture

Forbidden love is a common theme in many dramatic films, but Audience Award winner at the 2011 Sundance Film Festival, "Circumstance," explores a fresh take on the impact society can have on true love. An engrossing portrayal of homosexuality in modern Iran, "Circumstance" is a success in almost every way. This film gives an in-depth view of the struggles among Iranian youth and the cultural boundaries that barricade them from their own personal freedoms.

When a wealthy 16-year-old Atafeh in Tehran, Iran, begins an intimate relationship with her orphaned best friend, Shireen, their relationship is compromised by the cultural limitations of their world. Seeking to challenge their lack of personal freedom, Atafeh and Shireen attend underground parties, experimenting with drugs and alcohol. They are eventually caught by the morality authority, which leads to a forced marriage between Shireen and Atafeh's religiously conservative, formerly drug addicted older brother, Mehran.

Atafeh and Shireen, played by Nikohl Boosheri and Sarah Kazemy, are two free-spirited, vibrant young women in search of a life free from the influence of society. Boosheri and Kazemy are both stunningly beautiful in their portrayals of two young souls, forever bound by love and friendship. They both sparkle on the screen, drawing energy from one another and making the love between Atafeh and Shireen deep and earnest. Every touch, every look seemed genuine and passionate. These characters came alive behind the sparkling eyes of Boosheri and staggering elegance of Kazemy.

The cinematography brought the film together in a series of breathtaking close-ups. The shots of Mehran's dark, sinister eyes or Shireen's sparking, pillow lips spoke volumes about each character. Nothing felt out of place or without some hidden meaning. Every scene transitioned with fluidity and purpose. The pacing was well-timed and allowed the story to unfold naturally.

Ten minutes before the film ended, I was puzzled as to how the story would reach a conclusion. Until this point, the film had traveled along well, but the ending seemed too abrupt. There were subtle hints of what was going to happen; however, nothing really indicated that proper closure was going to be achieved. I respect the way the story ended; nevertheless, there was no finality in it. All in all, it was simply disheartening.

"Circumstance" is a passionate and riveting story of two best friends who fall in love, but cannot escape the reality of their situations. There isn't a moment that didn't feel honest and authentic. This film is exquisite -- capable of captivating an audience from beginning to end.

"Circumstance" can be seen at The Hippodrome in downtown Gainesville in the upcoming weeks.

Follow @swampcinema on Twitter.

Posts in Swamp Cinema appear on Mondays.