Ved Patel was typing away, analyzing the Torah, when Library West went dark.

Library West was among the buildings affected by a power outage on UF's main campus on Saturday afternoon.

The university alerted students shortly before 3 p.m. with a UF Alert via text and email. Part of campus power was restored by 5 p.m.

An update sent to students at 5 p.m. said full power should be restored by 6 p.m.

UF spokesman Steve Orlando said he did not know the reason for the outage, but it originated somewhere near the HPNP building.

Although the outage was campus-wide, he said, some buildings, including the dorms, were not affected because they have backup power.

Patel, a 22-year-old religious studies master's student, said Library West was shut down after the power outage. His office at Anderson was also dark, so he went to Marston Science Library to finish his eight-page paper.

"I thought it [the outage] was going to be a short thing," he said.

Margeaux Johnson, Science & Technology Librarian at Marston Science Library, said it is protocol for Library West to shut its doors if there's a long power outage. This is meant to prevent people from walking out with books or other materials that they haven't checked out.