On Dec. 10, 2011, Lowe's Companies, Inc. decided to pull its advertisements from TLC's "All-American Muslim." This show is an eight-part reality TV series that follows the lives of five American Muslim families in the Detroit suburb of Dearborn, Mich.

Lowe's decided to pull its advertisement from the show due to criticisms from the conservative Christian group, Florida Family Association. FFA claims "TLC's ‘All-American Muslim' is propaganda clearly designed to counter legitimate and present-day concerns about many Muslims who are advancing Islamic fundamentalism and Sharia law," and it "profiles only Muslims that appear to be ordinary folks while excluding many Islamic believers whose agenda poses a clear and present danger to liberties and traditional values that the majority of Americans cherish." They also claim that the show "is attempting to manipulate Americans into ignoring the threat of jihad and to influence them to believe that being concerned about the jihad threat would somehow victimize these nice people in this show."

Some members go even as far as claiming - via various interviews and statements on major TV networks — that they were offended because the show failed to depict extremist Muslims.

It is true that Lowe's certainly cannot be held responsible for these very ignorant and bigoted views, but its decision to agree with these views by removing advertising from the show is incredibly hurtful. How can citizens of the U.S. fight hatred and bigotry if it only takes one or two letters from a fringe group to cause such a big decision from a major company. Islamophobia creates tension and makes people assume that all Muslims are terrorists.

In reality, Islam is a peaceful religion. Yes, it is unfortunate that there are those who will take the words and teachings of Islam out of context or radicalize it for their own agenda. That is why it is the duty of those who are educated to share with those who don't know the true meaning of all religions from Christianity to Islam to Hinduism.

Still, there is no excuse when those with closed minds try to manipulate society and large corporations into advocating their closed-minded views. The actions of the Inquisition do not represent Christianity, a very peaceful and loving religion. Likewise, terrorism does not represent Islam. It is the duty of society and its people to unite in promoting good and forbidding evil to ensure a peaceful and promising future.

Although Lowe's claims that it is refraining from the public debate, its decision to pull advertising from "All-American Muslim" is making a clear statement.

Lowe's decision to pull its advertising was very offensive and ignorant. How can we begin to combat outdated and marginalized views of American Muslims when a giant retailer like Lowe's does not have the decency to stand up to racist views?

I am calling on Lowe's to publicly apologize for its decision to pull advertising from TLC's "All-American Muslim."

Umair Asghar is a mechanical engineering junior at UF.