Fifth Avenue Fashion: Beach-ready braids

<p>The double rainbow’s got nothing on this double Inception braid. “Project” this one on yourself!</p>

The double rainbow’s got nothing on this double Inception braid. “Project” this one on yourself!

Despite being around for decades, one trend that will never go out of style is the braid. With a simple twist of the hair, a complicated look can be achieved. While you’re out in the blistering sun this Spring Break season, try a fancy, intertwined hairdo that will keep your hair out of your face (for optimal skin tanning exposure, obviously) without you looking like a hot mess. Even if you don’t pair these lovely looks for locks with a bathing suit, these hairstyles are ready to rage no matter what Spring Break has in store.

Like a dream within a dream, the inception braid is the braid within a braid that will leave people on a cliffhanger wondering how you did it. Although it looks elaborate, this easy-to-do mane sensation will create the illusion that you’re a braiding expert with more tricks up your sleeve than Leonardo DiCaprio.

Step one: Break your hair into three sections, as with a normal braid.

(If you didn’t play with dolls as a kid and don’t know how to braid, here’s a quick how-to: separate hair into three sections and alternate wrapping outside sections under towards the center, swapping with the middle section. Alternate sides and repeat until you run out of hair. Secure with a hair tie.)

Step two: Braid one of the three sections as a normal three-strand braid. Secure with a small hair band.

Step three: Continue with the whole braid as usual, with one of the three sections pre-braided from step two. Secure with a hair tie.

The fishtail braid, also known as the herringbone braid, looks like an intricate basket weave connected down the center, similar to a herringbone pattern or the bones of a fishtail, hence the name. After countless hours of activity, this braid still looks adorable when it’s all messed up, perfect for UF spring breakers who are known to get a little wild.

Step one: Separate the hair into two sections, as opposed to the normal three.

Step two: Grab a strand of hair from the back of one section and bring it around the outside to the front, and over to the other section.

Step three: Repeat from the other section, wrapping a piece of hair from the back to the front, across to the other section of hair.

Step four: Repeat down hair. Secure with a hair tie. For a messy effect from the start, pull outward on the braid at the top after securing to give more volume.

Also known as a cascade braid, the waterfall braid is both unique and feminine, and one of the newest trends to try on your tresses. Using the same technique as a French braid, this style sweeps across the back of the head leaving little pieces of hair with a “falling” look.

Step one: Begin with a small, standard three-strand braid at the desired position of the braid. (This is typically on one side of the crown, left or right. If you have bangs, leave them down and start the braid where longer strands begin.)

Step two: After a few interlacing patterns, drop the bottom strand to create the waterfall effect.

Step three: Grab hair in the desired direction of the braid, moving across the crown of the head after every two braiding patterns, similar to a French braid. Continue to drop the bottom piece after two weaves, which is made up for by grabbing the hair at the top.

Step four: To finish the braid, stop picking up new strands and continue the braid as normal. Secure with a hair band or a pretty clip for a decorative touch.

Practice your braiding technique on a willing friend over spring break!