Marching band seeking money for Olympics trip

The Fightin’ Gator Marching Band is seeking donations to help fund its trip to the 2012 Olympic Games in London. Jay Watkins, director of the marching band, recently penned a letter to Gainesville Mayor Craig Lowe asking for donations.

“It’s a huge honor just to get asked,” Watkins said. “Now trying to make it happen is the nuts and bolts of what’s kicking us in the teeth.”

The trip will cost a total of  $1.3 million, he said. Without any outside funds, he said, each member would have to pay $4,000.

Two hundred band members have already paid deposits for the trip, said drum major Sarah Piper, 21, but many are struggling with the steep cost.

“People I know are working to make that money,” the elementary education senior said. “I’m one of eight alumni in Gator Band from Vero Beach High School; we had the newspaper write an article for us at home.”

Watkins said the band requested $130,000 from UF — 10 percent of the total cost. University officials have not revealed how much they plan to donate.

So far, the Florida Attorney General’s Office has been the band’s largest contributor, donating $5,000.

To help raise money, the band launched its $10 for ‘12 campaign last week,

“We’re asking, if you’ve heard the Gator band, just donate $10 to get us to the 2012 Olympics,” Watkins said.

He said to make a real impact on the cost of the trip, the band needed to reach out for corporate and city sponsorship.

He wrote to Florida’s office of tourism, Florida seafood vendors and 16 Fortune 500 companies headquartered in Florida for donations. In exchange for money, Watkins offered advertising in part of a video that will show behind the band at many of its scheduled events.

The band will leave for its nine-day trip on July 23.

Despite the cost, Piper is excited to take her first international trip and her first trip to the Olympics.

“I’m so excited to represent Gator Band and UF on the world stage,” she said.