University researchers and Gainesville businesses have united to get residents talking about science.

About 60 people filled a Leonardo’s 706 dining room Tuesday evening for a discussion on Florida archaeological discoveries. The talk was the fourth Science Cafe hosted by the Florida Museum of Natural History.

Museum-hosted community talks have been gaining popularity nationwide, combining informal discussions about science with the relaxing atmosphere of restaurants and pubs, said Leeann Bright, marketing and public relations coordinator for the Florida Museum of Natural History.

Two Gainesville restaurants and a handful of researchers at UF have donated their restaurant space and expertise for the event. The donations advance the museum’s goal of bringing the community together to discuss historical and academic topics.

The program’s purpose isn’t to get people in the door but to get audience members talking about what they learned over the course of the presentation and discussion, said Amanda Harvey, an education assistant at the museum.

“Sometimes a lot of people put numbers as a way to measure success,” she said, “but I really think it’s the level of engagement of participants.”

Numbers haven’t been a problem for the Science Cafes either. The museum overbooked Leonardo’s 706 for its presentation in January and again Tuesday.

About 60 people attended February’s talk.

“We already have some RSVPs for the next one,” Harvey said.

The Florida Museum of Natural History hosted its first Science Cafe in October.

About 125 people attended a discussion on ocean sustainability and seafood at the museum.

Four Science Cafe nights were planned for this semester after the large turnout in fall.

The monthly discussions will switch between Leonardo’s 706 and The Warehouse Restaurant and Lounge.

Participants are encouraged to wear casual clothing and bring questions to ask the presenter.

The researchers leading the event ask audience members to guide conversation through group discussion and Q&A sessions, Bright said.

Both restaurants provide shortened menus to audience members, but guests aren’t required to buy a meal.

Neither restaurant has charged the museum for the use of their buildings.

“We’re happy to donate the room and time,” said Aaron Newman, manager of Leonardo’s 706. “We’re getting some customers we wouldn’t usually get.”

The museum doesn’t spend money on discussion leaders for the Science Cafes, either.

The next Science Cafe is scheduled for April 17 from 6:30 p.m. to 8 p.m. at The Warehouse Restaurant and Lounge.

The discussion will be “Giant Reptiles and Shrinking Mammals: How Climate Change Affects Life on Earth.”