Students were asked to perform sobriety tests on campus Thursday.

But they weren’t asked to walk straight lines because they were drunk — they were testing a pair of beer goggles that shows what people see when they’re drunk.

The sobriety test was part of AAA Insurance Agency’s table at the 29th Annual UFPD Spring Break Safety Fair on the Reitz Union North Lawn.

The purpose of the fair was to promote safe habits for spring-breakers, including drinking habits and driving and boating safety.

Jared Lockhart, an AAA insurance agent, said his advice for students is to never drink and drive, even if you don’t feel drunk.

“Even just one or two drinks can be too much and still put some people over the legal limit,” he said.

According to the Auto Club South Traffic Safety Foundation, about 1,900 people under the age of 21 die every year from crashes involving underage drinking.

UF telecommunication junior Michelle Dunne, 20, took the sobriety test using the beer goggles and said it was very hard to see.

“Everyone always says, ‘I’m not that drunk, I’m OK,’” she said. “The goggles let you actually see what it’s like when you’re that wasted”.

Other organizations at the fair included Gainesville Fire Rescue, Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission, Student Legal Services and Campus Diplomats.

Gainesville Fire Rescue promoted safe driving habits with Put It Down, a campaign to prevent people from using cellphones while driving.

Krista Gonzalez, a risk reduction specialist at Gainesville Fire Rescue, said motor vehicle crashes are the No. 1 injury category in the community and a lot of injuries are caused by distracted driving.

“If you need to use your phone, pull over,” she said. “Even in an emergency.”

Brandon Lasher, a law enforcement official with Florida Fish and Wildlife, said some safety precautions students should take while boating are having a designated driver, bringing a life jacket and having navigation lights at sunset.

His biggest concern is students driving boats or participating in other water-related activities while drinking.

"When you're jet-skiing, don't be drunk," he said. "And don't jump off the boat."