The Alachua County Commission’s hopes to switch from Gainesville Regional Utilities to another utility provider got a reality check from County Attorney David Wagner.

In a memo dated March 14, Wagner told the commission that staying with the city utility provider may be the best option, even though utility bills for county-owned buildings will jump due to a plan to receive energy from a new wood-burning power plant.

“In my opinion, while it is legally possible to solicit proposals for electric utility services from another provider,” Wagner wrote, “it is not certain that such solicitation would be successful.”

The commission voted unanimously in February to research the cost of switching to another energy supplier after learning that GRU’s new biomass plant would increase the county’s bill.

Charlie Jackson, Alachua County facilities manager, told commissioners in February that GRU’s biomass contract would cause the county’s utility bill to rise by about $200,000 a year starting in 2014, up from the current $3 million.

County Commissioner Lee Pinkoson told the Alligator in February that he analyzed electricity costs in other counties and said companies such as Progress Energy, which provides most of UF’s energy, and Clay Electric Co-op would be possible options.

Katie Weitekamp, GRU spokeswoman, said new costs would have come anyway, regardless of fuel type.

“Any new generation will bring new costs,” she said, “whether it’s biomass, wind or solar.”

The commission asked Wagner for his legal opinion on the switch. He found some obstacles.

First, GRU would have to agree to change its service area remove county-owned facilities from the designated area. GRU is allowed to block other utility companies from accessing its service area or charge a fee for using its utility lines.

The Florida Public Service Commission, which the Florida legislature created to facilitate utility services, would also have to approve the changes to make sure that the chosen utility provider’s area of service would include county-owned buildings.

The Public Service Commission would only be able to approve the changes if they did not affect the quality of the utilities provided, among other stipulations.

Despite the county’s wish to switch providers, Weitekamp said the new biomass plant would help the county long-term.

She said the company that is building the biomass plant is a private business, so they would be required to pay taxes to the county that will offset the new costs.

For citizens, Weitekamp said GRU has programs to help people use less energy, which she said will help keep their energy bills affordable.

Contact Shelby Webb at swebb@alligator.org.