'American Reunion' brings back old memories with original cast

<p>“American Reunion” is as much fun as anyone could expect to have while sitting in a movie theater.</p>

“American Reunion” is as much fun as anyone could expect to have while sitting in a movie theater.

As much as I loathe unnecessary sequels, there are times when I will approve of a classic film being reintroduced at a time when it has almost been forgotten. The "American Pie" franchise has turned out some really offensive and corny teen comedies over the past decade, all of which spat in the face of the original.

Still, I was thrilled to hear about a fourth sequel that would bring back the entire original cast.

The first “American Pie” premiered at the height of the teen comedy film era. It added a little perversion to the cheesier teen films of the 90s and early 2000s, leading to a widespread appeal for young adults. The subject of sex is what all teenagers must deal with, but for decades films walked on eggshells when approaching the subject. It was liberating for teens to see a film that tackled such a relevant topic in an honest and hilarious way.

Since the characters have aged, the sequels themselves have changed their tone. With the actors as full-fledged adults, “American Reunion”  draws parallels to its original but has to target a more mature audience dealing with a different set of issues. Those viewers who were teenagers in 1999 when the first film premiered will appreciate the feeling that they have grown up with this franchise. "American Pie" remains just as relevant to their lives today as it ever was.

The original "American Pie" films — apart from the ridiculous spinoff movies — are timeless. Each film is held together by a solid cast of distinct characters such as Steve Stifler, played by Seann William Scott, who steals every scene with outrageous insults and hijinks. A character like Stifler is so outrageous that he is irreplaceable and iconic, even if he is the quintessential douchebag. Jason Biggs as the protagonist, Jim, epitomizes the average Joe persona whose life falls into chaos despite his best intentions. I’ve rooted for Jim through four movies and will always continue to do so.

“American Reunion” is as much fun as anyone could expect to have while sitting in a movie theater. It is a comedy that is just as good as the first film, doing its 13-year-old franchise justice.

Posts in Swamp Cinema appear on Mondays. Follow @SwampCinema on Twitter.