Chickenpox spreading in Alachua County schools

UF students who have not had chickenpox or its vaccine should beware of the itchy virus in the upcoming weeks. It has been steadily infecting students in Alachua County schools.

The Alachua County Health Department has reported 70 cases of chickenpox since January, 65 of which have been in the northwest part of the county.

“We are concerned that, given the foothold that this disease has been able to gain in this part of the county, there is potential for this outbreak to increase in all parts,” said Paul Myers, administrator of the Alachua County Health Department.

There is an onslaught of symptoms before bumps appear, including a fever, UF Student Health Center Director Dr. Phillip Barkley said. It is common to not suspect the virus until the itchy blisters surface.

Barkley said the fact that UF does not require its students to receive the Varicella vaccination before they start classes has caused concern on campus.

“It is something that we may want to look into changing,” Barkley said.

There have been no cases of chickenpox reported on UF’s campus this year, he said.

Students who have not had the virus or been vaccinated for it should get vaccinated as soon as possible.

The Student Health Care Center offers the vaccine to students who call ahead or walk in.

The affected schools include Alachua Elementary School, W.W. Irby Elementary School, High Springs Community School, Mebane Middle School, Santa Fe High School, Bhaktivedanta Academy and the Alachua Learning Center.

The county health department has demanded that unvaccinated students at those schools stay home until the week of April 25, Myers said.

Contact Adrianna Paidas at apaidas@alligator.org.