Oak Park residents enjoy prom despite fire alarm

<p>Hazel Porter, 62, and Jason Davis, 39, dance to "Build Me Up Buttercup" with 19-year-old digital media sophomore Miriam Miyara Tuesday night at Oak Park's senior prom, which was hosted by Gamma Eta Sorority Inc. and Pi Lambda Phi fraternity.</p>

Hazel Porter, 62, and Jason Davis, 39, dance to "Build Me Up Buttercup" with 19-year-old digital media sophomore Miriam Miyara Tuesday night at Oak Park's senior prom, which was hosted by Gamma Eta Sorority Inc. and Pi Lambda Phi fraternity.

After losing 155 pounds, Doris George-Manning couldn’t wait to wear her navy blue gown.

She laid it out along with some jewelry before heading to work at Girls Place Inc.

The 66-year-old was one of the residents at Oak Park Housing Authority assisted living facility who attended senior prom Monday night.

The annual event, hosted by members of the UF chapters of Gamma Eta sorority and Pi Lambda Phi fraternity, gave guests a second chance at a high school prom.

“It’s been 49 years since the last time,” George-Manning said. “Prom was nice then, but I’m liking it more now.”

About 25 residents joined the students for a night of eating, singing and salsa dancing.

Jason Davis, 39, said prom brought life to the complex.

“We’re happy as long as we get to dress up and have some fun,” he said.

When the women started getting tired, they took off their high-heeled shoes and kept dancing. They pranced around the hall singing along to classics such as “My Girl.”

Throughout the night, they were asked to vote for superlatives. Categories included best hair, best dancer, best dressed and prom court.

Davis said he didn’t want to be prom king because he was nominated for that in high school.

“Tonight I’m looking to get best dressed,” said Davis, who sported a beige tuxedo, a burgundy bow tie and a top hat. “I’m definitely a shoe-in.”

The crowd agreed Davis deserved the award. Prom king was awarded to Bruce Williams, a medical records professor at City College.

Williams, 60, spent the entire time cheering everyone on.

“Oh, she’s bad,” he said pointing to George-Manning, who was dancing in her seat.

“As incredible as it might seem, this time last year I was in the hospital,” she said. “I’m glad I get to fit in the dress and finally wear it out.”

As the party began to wind down, the crowd got an extra surprise.

Heavy smoke coming from a garbage chute caused everyone to be evacuated.

Police said they got a call around 8 p.m., after a fire started in a Dumpster inside the trash room. The fire triggered the sprinkler system in the room, extinguishing the fire.

The fire alarm went off in the building, but no other sprinklers were triggered.

When firefighters arrived, they only found heavy smoke and a wet floor. They removed the Dumpster and used mops to try to push the overflow of ashy water into the parking lot.

Gamma Eta member Miriam Miyara, a 19-year-old digital media major, said residents went to their designated fire “stations” outside as soon as they heard the alarm.

“It was very organized,” she said. “They knew where to go.”

Another Gamma Eta member, Lauren Nunez, 20, tried to keep the mood light.

“I told them they made it too hot in here and set it on fire,” the telecommunications sophomore said.

The abrupt end didn’t dampen Nancy Tyson’s night. She said it was the first prom she and many other residents ever attended.

“It was so beautiful,” Tyson, 50, beamed. “Everybody had such a great time — the queen, the king.”

Tyson was crowned best dressed for her canary yellow floor-length dress with a sheer wrap.

Even though it was the longest fire alarm she has heard at the complex, Tyson is excited to get a physical memory of the evening.

“I can’t wait for the pictures,” she said. “I’ve always wanted a prom picture.”