Some Gainesville residents are concerned about drivers whizzing through their neighborhoods. They are calling for more speed bumps, but the city says that’s not an option.

The City Commission stopped speed bump installation in 2004, but put in radar speed limit signs and roundabouts to slow down drivers.

The city prohibited the speed bumps because it slowed down ambulances and fire trucks on their way to emergencies, said City Traffic Operations Manager Phil Mann.

One speed bump can slow a fire truck down as much as 30 seconds in a situation where every second counts, said Gainesville Fire Rescue Deputy Chief Tim Hayes.

“We’ve got to get to the emergency in four minutes,” Hayes said. “That additional time is pretty devastating to us.”

Though no action was taken Monday during a city Recreation, Cultural Affairs and Public Works Committee meeting to discuss the issue, Commissioner Todd Chase asked Mann if he would look into the costs of installing more speed limit radar signs in the requested areas around the city.

Gainesville resident Michael Holt lives near Northwest 22nd Street, which has only a radar sign to keep drivers’ speed in check. Holt, who has three children, said that’s not enough.

“I’m glad it’s there,” Holt said, “But the radar sign doesn’t deter people from speeding.”

Contact Adrianna Paidas at apaidas@alligator.org.