Stomp the Swamp raises thousands for autism awareness programs

<p>Maximus Pulefko holds up his painting during Stomp the Swamp for Autism on Saturday.</p>

Maximus Pulefko holds up his painting during Stomp the Swamp for Autism on Saturday.

Joel Jesse has an autistic spectrum disorder that causes him to speak softly in short sentences.

But when the 24-year-old Gainesville resident sang the national anthem on Saturday, his voice was strong, full and confident.

Jesse sang at the Fourth Annual Stomp the Swamp for Autism event at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium, hosted by the UF Center for Autism and Related Disabilities.

About 200 people participated, STS committee member Caroline Robichaux said.

Last year the event raised about $7,000, Robichaux said. Although she won’t know this year’s total until the end of the week, she said UF CARD hopes to have raised $10,000 for autism awareness programs.

The organization raised funds through event registration, a silent auction and donations.

Participants symbolically stomped out autism by running or walking up and down the stadium bleachers or running around the stadium’s inner loop.

Athletic training senior Lauren Foy, 22, ran up the stadium steps for 45 minutes.

“It was beyond motivating to see a lot of people with autism running,” she said. “It motivated me to get those extra laps done.”

Robichaux said one in every 88 children is diagnosed with autism.

“Autism isn’t a disability,” she said. “Autism is a different ability.”

Joel Jesse agrees.

“I want people to know that autistic people are good,” he said. “There is something good about us.”