Free Bike Repair at UF moves to new Reitz Union location

Students looking to get their bicycles fixed will have to push them a little farther than the bushes outside of the Reitz Union Colonnade, but they might break less of a sweat.

UF’s Free Bike Repair opened in a new location Monday, moving into the Reitz Union and its air conditioning.

The new location is in the same room as the Outfitter, across the hall from Subway on the ground floor of the Reitz Union.

“No one wants to stand out in the sun,” said Jackie Matthews, Free Bike Repair coordinator.

Funding for the relocation came from Student Government. The new location has a new bike rack, a new air compressor and adapters attached to the exterior of the building, Matthews said.

The adapters will allow students to fill up their tires any time — even when the bike repair is closed.

Daniel Harcha, a 22-year old mechanical engineering senior and manager of Free Bike Repair, said the staff found out about the move at the beginning of Spring semester.

He said bike repair hours will be shortened for the rest of summer to Monday, Thursday and Friday from 12 p.m. to 5 p.m.

Free Bike Repair will be open five days a week this fall.

Contact Shelby Webb at swebb@alligator.org.