IRHA offers new discounts, benefits with activity card

You would be surprised by how far $10 can go on campus.

This Fall, the Inter-Residence Hall Association is making that $10 go farther.

IRHA sells business-card-sized colored pieces of paper, known as activity cards, which offer discounts off tutoring services and textbooks from 12 different residence halls on campus.

Severin Walstad, a 21-year-old public relations senior and president of IRHA, said the most notable change this Fall has been a deal with the UF Bookstore in the Reitz Union where students with activity cards can buy school supplies at a 10 percent discount from the bookstore directly.

The deal will replace a program that started Summer B offering discounted school supplies at the IRHA office.

IRHA usually sells about 3,000 cards in the first week, which yields $30,000 to fund programs all year, he said.

The card also includes a 10 percent discount at Study Edge and the ability to rent vacuums, board games, speakers, sports balls and to cash personal checks up to $25 through IRHA.

Vicki DeJaco, a 19-year-old psychology sophomore, said she enjoys being able to use recreational equipment, such as a pool table and an air hockey table, at her residence hall.

“The Keys game room is like the Southwest [gym] of game rooms,” DeJaco said. “It is so nice, awesome and has everything. Also, my area puts on the best events.”