UF Supreme Court Chief Justice Matt Michel announced to the Student Senate on Tuesday that both referendums previously presented received the 500 signatures needed to be on October’s election ballot.

One asks if students want to rename the Reitz Union. The other asks if they want the university to proceed with moving all publications into university-owned modular racks.

Michel said the court will convene next week to review the signatures and go over two petitions regarding election codes.

The Senate approved nine recommendations to the Senate committees.

But the recommendations for Alex Cohen to the Information and Communication Committee and Danielle Lehrer to the Rules and Ethics Committee created debate.

Sen. Morgan Vollrath said both senators received recommendations for positions they did not apply to.

Sen. Matt Pesek echoed his sentiments.

“None of us are arguing that [Alex] is not qualified,” Pesek said. “We are arguing that he did not actually apply for the seat.”

Cohen said he did apply for that committee, but his application didn’t show it due to a clerical error.

Budget and Appropriations Chairwoman Christina Bonarrigo said that whether or not he applied, Cohen is one of the Senate’s most hardworking individuals.

“To sit here and discuss petty partisan politics is disgusting,” she said.

Bonarrigo also presented the 2013-2014 Activity and Service Fee Budget, which totals about $18.2 million. The Senate will vote on it next week.

Contact Samantha Shavell at sshavell@alligator.org.