Students plant herbs for use in campus dining centers

<p>Entomology freshman Andre Szejner, 21, plants herbs next to Gator Corner Dining Center with Leah Chapman, sustainability manager for ARAMARK Higher Education.</p>

Entomology freshman Andre Szejner, 21, plants herbs next to Gator Corner Dining Center with Leah Chapman, sustainability manager for ARAMARK Higher Education.

UF students wanting to go green can start the old-fashioned way.

Student volunteers replanted two herb gardens outside Gator Corner Dining Center on Monday night and will be replanting two others at Fresh Food Company tonight.

The volunteers are planting mostly basil, parsley and cilantro, said Leah Chapman, sustainability manager for ARAMARK Higher Education. Other herbs, including chives, rosemary, oregano and spearmint will be planted, too.

Dining hall chefs will use the herbs, which will fully mature in about a month, in their cooking. Chefs in the Reitz Union will use them while preparing food for catering events.

“During peak season, we hope to produce at least five pounds of herbs from each bed every week,” Chapman said.

The herbs were planted in boxes instead of in-ground beds because raised beds are better for growing small amounts of herbs and vegetables, she said.

The gardens will be maintained by Gator Dining Services, UF’s Office of Sustainability and the Physical Plant Division.

Entomology freshman Andre Szejner, 21, said he came to plant the herbs because he likes gardening.

Monday, he pulled out old basil and oregano plants to make room for new herbs.

“I will definitely be coming back if it’s needed,” he said.