A Gainesville startup plans to release an updated fitness app this month meant to remind and encourage users to work out.

With peerFit, people can set and receive reminders 25 hours prior to a group fitness class they’ve registered for, president Ed Buckley said.

“Everyone has a day where they’re feeling lazy,” he said. “Everyone has a day where they need a little push.”

Buckley, a 26-year-old UF doctoral student in health education and behavior, cofounded the company with three friends and launched the first prototype website in May 2011.

Once the site was up and running, Buckley and the peerFit team tested the prototype program at 44 universities across the country to avoid any sampling bias, he said. They then updated the site.

Now users can read reviews, search for classes and set reminders for future classes they want to attend.

PeerFit reviews classes at several fitness centers within the Gainesville area including the two UF gyms, Body by Boris, LifeStyle Wellness and Tallest Tree Dojo, Buckley said.

Nicole Berrio, a public relations junior, also works as a peerFit storyteller.

“It’s a great way to make group fitness social,” Berrio said.