“Don’t ask, don’t tell” was not the policy followed Tuesday night at UF Hillel.

About 70 students gathered as part of Pride Student Union’s Pride History Week to hear about Captain Jill Guttman’s experience as a lesbian in the U.S. Armed Forces. She served before and after the “don’t ask, don’t tell” military policy was implemented.

When she first joined the Army, several rules implied “being homosexual was not conducive to military life.” She was prepped by a recruiter to lie about her orientation.

But Guttman said she sought refuge with fellow gay soldiers.

“We found each other. I don’t know how, but we did,” she told the crowd.

Guttman left the Army in 1990, because hiding her personal life was becoming too tiring, she said, and she rejoined after “don’t ask, don’t tell” took effect.

This time, Guttman pretended she was married to a man, because the policy prohibited her from publicly addressing her orientation, she said. Guttman left the military in 2007.

Although the policy is eliminated, work needs to be done. Activists have the power to continue changing the situation, she said.

Dylen Montero, an 18-year-old biomedical engineering freshman, said Guttman’s story was interesting.

“I’m happy that there are people before me that have been through so much so that I can have opportunities,” he said.